Adult education and job seeking
When you begin seeking employment, register yourself as a job seeker at the Employment and Economic Development Office (TE Office, in picture) located on Mannilantie 28A.
If you are unemployed and over 25, the Employment Unit will provide you with information on work and training (in picture, Valtuustonkatu 3, 04401 Järvenpää); the phone number of the job coach is 040 315 2496.
|If you are a young adult under the age of 25 and are unemployed or not enrolled in school, please visit the Youth Centre for more information (in picture, Puistotie 27, 04430 Järvenpää).|
A number of educational institutes and organisations offer Finnish and Swedish language courses. The content and number of classes varies.
Unemployed job seekers and those under the threat of unemployment can apply for Finnish language courses also through the TE Office.
When applying for Finnish citizenship, immigrants must present an official certificate of written and oral language proficiency in either Finnish or Swedish. Language proficiency can be demonstrated, for example, by completing a general language proficiency test at skill level three.
The website opintoluotsi.fi provides information on the educational opportunities of immigrants in Finland. Immigrants take part in the same courses as Finns, but their background is taken into account in the selection of students and academic arrangements at the educational institutions.
The website opiskelijaksi.net presents the educational opportunities in the Uusimaa region, and provides assistance in selecting a programme.
Information about recognition of foreign degrees is available on the opintoluotsi.fi website and on the website of the Finnish National Board of Education.
In Järvenpää, information about studying and employment is available from:
- The TE Office
- Järvenpää Adult Education Centre (in Finnish)
- Verso – Järvenpää's Immigration Office
- Järvenpää Employment Unit (in Finnish)
- Järvenpää Youth Centre (in Finnish)
The following organisations are among those that arrange training or language groups for immigrants:
- Rinki language club (Multicultural Rinki)
- Järvenpää Adult Education Centre (see link above)
- Central Uusimaa upper secondary school for adults (in Finnish)
- Seurakuntaopisto (Church Training College)
Instruction in Finnish in preparation for general language degrees, proficiency tests
Online courses, training
- Tavataan taas! - Beginners' course offered by the University of Helsinki's Language Centre Offered in English, French and German
- Supisuomea - Beginners' course offered by YLE and Finn Lectura
- Suomea, ole hyvä! - Finnish language course for adult immigrants. Finnish National Board of Education.
- YKI-treenit - Exercises to help prepare for the general language proficiency test
- Keskellä Suomea - Exercises to help spoken Finnish comprehension and conversational strategies.
- 24 tuntia opiskelijaelämää - Listening exercises for beginner and intermediate level.
- Reagoi suomeksi - Language-reaction exercises for intermediate level.
- Easyfinnish – A beginners' course in Finnish
- Online learning material for upper-secondary-school-level Finnish and Literature - Finnish National Board of Education's online service for teachers
- Tervetuloa töihin! - Learning material about the language, working life, and work culture in Finland.